Lummus Park Downtown

The Wagner Homestead was built by a pioneer William Wagner in the 1850s and is the oldest surviving home in Dade County. It was saved by the Dade Heritage Trust in 1979 and was moved from its original location on the Wagner Creek near today’s Culmer Metrorail Station. 

The William English Slave Plantation Longhouse originally stood at the north bank of the Miami River near today’s James L. Knight Center.  It is the oldest preserved building in the city of Miami and it was erected by enslaved africans as part of a large sugar plantation belonging to a South Carolina slaver who had it built alongside his substantial home. For the latter stages of their wars declared against the Seminoles the US troops requisitioned and used the plantation buildings as part of their Fort Dallas. In later times the longhouse has been refered to as Fort Dallas. In 1925 the Plantation Longhouse was moved to Lummus Park to save it from demolition.